An Interview with Coo-Mon Founder

Ingrid Agbato is owner of Coo-Mon: Accessoires et Cultures (Accessories and Cultures) based in Montreal. I had the privilege of wearing one of her Coo-Mon creations for a blog photo shoot recently. 
Ms. Agbato's designs are sold in boutiques throughout Quebec and on Etsy.com. She was a finalist for the 2016 RJCCQ's Next Generation of Business in Quebec: Immigrant Entrepreneur of the Year award and has been featured in several magazines and journals including Quebec's Journal les Affaires. Along with being an entrepreneur and clothes designer, she successfully juggles the responsibilities of motherhood and caring for her daughter's naturally curly hair. I was so honored that Ingrid took some time out of her busy schedule to chat with me about the inspiration for her masterpieces and biggest motivation.

What got you started selling your designs? 
I left Benin for Canada, thanks to another scholarship [...] a master's degree in Environmental Health and Occupational Health. Meanwhile, I left all sewing thoughts on the ice until I gave birth to my daughter during my PhD studies in biomedical sciences. During my maternity leave in 2011, I started thinking about sewing again and was looking for ideas of custom clothing for my daughter...With this machine, which I still own today, I sewed [the] very first dress for my daughter. However, despite the insistence of my surrounding, I was not ready to start a business even though I have always wanted to be an entrepreneur and both my parents are. 
My goal was to finish my Ph.D... In 2013-2014 though, my supervisor had to change research center. This created a period of instability in my studies that have idled, or to be more accurate stopped. This was followed by a period of questioning and challenging with a loss of passion for science. After months of deliberation, I decided to give life to my entrepreneurial passion by creating a company of accessories and clothing for girls


Tell me more about your inspiration in using cultural fusion elements?
Looking around me, I noticed that just like myself, a significant number of people around me came from different cultures and were living outside their native country. This is how I got the idea to mix in the same product textiles from different origins (Quebec and Africa for now) to look like what I and others are today i.e. a mix of cultures.

In fact, the name of my company makes the connection between my hometown Cotonou (Coo) [Benin] and my current city of residence Montreal (Mon) [Canada].
profile photo
Curtesy of Coo-Mon Accessoires et Cultures 
Any advice for beginner entrepreneurs out there?  
For the tips to someone who starts his/her business, I will say to take the time to define his or her objective, mission and the story behind the business. And, not to hesitate to ask for help because [there are] a lot of things to do at the beginning. Write a plan, looking for a mentor help me a lot. Also, I think that it is important to not to focus on the money we do not have yet but the money we plan to get. Adopt the power of broke strategy "how an empty bank account could be the good asset to succeed".

How do you take care of your daughter's natural hair? Any favorite hair products? 
About, my daughter's hair, I do not do something special. I use: Shea butter, avocado [oil], carapate oil, Cantu and I braid her hair on a regular basis.


So Ingrid, what do you have planned next?
I continue to write my story one line at a time ...and I have to finish my PhD.
One thing I have not told you is that I am a very lucky single mom with a girl who often tells me:  “Repeat after me mom, you must not be discouraged, you must work hard, you have to put heart in what you are doing and then you will succeed”…So I try to follow her advice even if it is not always easy.

~la fin~



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B Belly Confessions

The Meaning of LeLola

Creating Beauty from the Ashes of Despair