Wednesday Words

“No matter how well-meaning a person may be, Should they have the right to vocally judge your hair choices? And where does it cross the line from sharing an opinion to a form of bullying?”

I’ve have been pondering the above questions written above for a while now. However, this post I will not be answering either question. Confused… it’s okay, just keep reading.

I try to practice kindness and patience in my daily life... But some days I wish I was wearing a white t-shirt that said: “I really don’t need your opinion” in ALL CAPS, Red, and Underlined.
On two separate occasions in the past few months, I have had someone come up to me and make unsolicited remarks about my hair. I try plaster a smile on all the while thinking this: If I am in fact having a bad hair day, then I already know it. If you were trying to be encouraging, you did not add any value or substance to my day so your mission has failed. If you were trying to make me feel ashamed of my hair or try to change me, well nope…that ain’t gonna happen. LeLola* is my rida-die chick for life. If you were trying to ruin my day, in the past itay have worked... But from today onwards, I promise myself I will never let someone’s, especially  a stranger’s, comments take away a whole good day of mine. I worked hard for that day! I got up at 4 am, flat twisted my hair, washed dishes, got dressed, went to the gym, did 225 jumping jacks and bunch of other stuff in 15 minutes, read and discussed our Bible verse for the day with my husband, took him to work, came home to wash up, changed into my scrubs, untwisted my hair, took out the trash, prepared my lunch and made my breakfast, stopped and got gas on the way to work, and clocked-in at 8:03 am. I did all of that despite the fibromyalgia and the anxiety, despite the depression and the hypothyroidism. I worked hard to start that day off right. And it’s my right to keep my day good.
Yes, sometimes my hair looks like I am Tarzan’s black Jane but I love its length! Yes, my hair may break a comb every once in a while but I am proud it is so strong! I am not me despite my hair, I am me because of my hair. And I never want to do anything that will ever cause lasting harm to my hair, especially not for someone else's approval.

OK RANT OVER 🤣🤣🤣

*My hair's name is LeLola. Check out its meaning here. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B Belly Confessions

The Meaning of LeLola

Creating Beauty from the Ashes of Despair