Argentina- Entry 3



 Wow (Day 3- Part 1)

January 10, 2014

We arrived in Buenos Aires on Thursday morning (yeah, I know I'm behind). Aunt Sharon and Uncle Jay's friends Alexis and Carolina (they are Jehovah's Witnesses who live in Buenos Aires) met us at the airport. They not only were going to drive us to Rosario but also stay the weekend at our hotel. They brought along their friend Darrio. The three of them are amazing. They are everything a good host should be. Did I mention that they all speak pretty good English? :) Once we got through airport customs and baggage claim, I realized a few things in this order: its hot; I wouldn't be using my phone much, I'm in Argentina and here my name is Cata. I introduced myself as Catalina (my name in Spanish class many moons ago) to cut down on pronunciation mishaps. But "in Argentina, everyone just says Cata", Carolina told me at the airport. I thought I would soon suffer from culture shock but, as I sat there for the 2.5 hour drive to Rosario, I felt just a little jet lag but otherwise okay. Everything is different and everything is in Spanish here. And I get the feeling that people here have a no-rush lifestyle, prefer small cars and enjoy driving fast. Darrio said that a lot of people here view traffic laws as only suggestions. So crossing the street is definitely nerve-wrecking but I really like Rosario over all. It's a big city with a small town feel. Alexis stopped for directions a couple of times. He just rolled down his window and asked the nearest person, who always obligingly helped us. So much happened Thursday that I'll have to make a second Day 3 entry :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B Belly Confessions

The Meaning of LeLola

Creating Beauty from the Ashes of Despair