High-Fiber Cereal GOES Gluten-Free!!


While visiting my gastroenterologist at the end of January, he recommended increasing my fiber to combat my IBS symptoms. In order to avoid the side effects of upping my fiber intake too quickly, he suggested eating one bowl of a high fiber cereal each day. I decided to go with Kashi GO LEAN Honey Almond Flax Crunch cereal which packs a whopping 8 grams of fiber per serving. I’d enjoy it with unsweetened almond milk and a tbsp of local honey*. However, going back gluten-free definitely threw a wrench into my routine. 



At first I thought it was impossible. I mean the term gluten-free high-fiber cereal is sort of an oxymoron. But my plucky determination carried me all the way to my local grocery store’s cereal aisle.


In a coffee mug for on-the-go ease
Every high fiber cereal listed wheat within the first 3 ingredients. I was about to settle on plain Original Cheerios (3 grams of fiber per serving) when I stumbled upon the Organic/Healthy food aisle. They had several lesser known brands of cereal including Van’s. I had heard of the Van’s brand before (they also make GF frozen waffles) but had never noticed their gluten-free cereal in stores. They had 4 cereals flavors: 2 reminded me of Cheerio’s and 2 more like a mature cinnamon toast crunch (all with 4 to 5 grams of fiber per serving). I ended up trying the HONEY CRUNCH flavor. I found it extremely satisfying with the spoonful of honey and a dash of cinnamon.

*For other health benefits.

What do you eat for the most important meal of the day? ↓Comment below


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B Belly Confessions

The Meaning of LeLola

Creating Beauty from the Ashes of Despair